What character do you play?
I play Blondie. She instills the fear in all the characters. Usually, when you do things out of fear, they're generally not the smartest which comes back and bites you in the butt.
What was it like to be in an action film with an all-female cast?
It was amazing and empowering. It’s not very often that you get to see females take control of their destiny; to be a damsel in distress, but also save themselves. Usually, the male is the hero, but this time we're taking control.
Since it’s an action film, are the details important?
It's amazing, the attention that they put into the detail. We would be in the brothel and I would open a drawer, and there would be little lipstick and a little perfume bottle, and on Emily's gun there are charms. There are so many little things that [director] Zack [Snyder] really pays attention to. He makes sure that no rock is unturned and truly explores it to the fullest.
What are the fighting scenes like?
The action blows my mind. Even now, I'm still waiting to wake up from it because it's unlike anything that I've seen before - especially from young females. It's an incredible thing to see these women who are so strong and so powerful. They are warriors in all these different fantasy worlds that you've never seen before, shooting massive guns and shooting creatures. It's a fantasy, so there are no limits.
Was it difficult to work with the green screen?
It's interesting. There were actually a lot of sets involved, probably about 80 per cent sets and then 20 per cent green screen. When you're there and you're present and in that moment, it's very exciting. Your adrenaline starts rushing. Having Zack there with so much energy and support really gets you amped, and you just fall into it.
Things just fall into place after rehearsing and training and preparing for so long.
How did you immerse yourself in these different worlds?
A lot of different aspects really played into putting us into each place. All of this comes from Zack’s mind, so he's an encyclopedia of these worlds. You can go to him with any question you have, and he will go into depth and make sure that you are at your best understanding of what's happening.
Not to mention the wardrobe - our costumes were phenomenal. Each world had a very specific look that was very strong. The first time I put my costume on, I felt like a whole new person. Even the way that I carried myself was different. I held my shoulders back, and I had a new sense of confidence.
What do you want audiences to take away from the film?
I want women to feel empowered and know that if they set their mind to anything, that they can do it.
Sucker Punch is now available on DVD.
No comments:
Post a Comment