How did you get discovered?
I got discovered in 2004, I entered the Girlfriend competition and was lucky enough to be one of the six finalists.
And it’s been a fairytale ride to fame from there...
Yep!
These days, you’re one of Australia’s top models – how do you manage to stay grounded?
Well, I have a very supportive family... and I have a very supportive boyfriend so when I do go out, do my shoots and everything else; when I come home, I’m not treated any different, I’m still just Samantha.
Is there a lot of pressure in the modelling industry - do you have to watch what you eat and work out a lot?
Exercise is part of life, everyone does it. I do do it for modelling, but I do do it to be healthy – I want to be fit, I want to be healthy within myself, and you know, it helps with modelling as well, so it’s a bonus!
Do you stick to a strict diet?
Not really, no. Just everything in moderation and I drink plenty of water.
You're also an advocate for the NCIE (National Centre of Indigenous Excellence) in Refern, NSW. Is this a role that's close to your heart?
Being an advocate is really important to me. I’ve done so well in my career and this centre is perfect for young kids - it’s got wonderful facilities, it's very helpful for them and it shows them that your dreams can come true and there’s wonderful programs going on for them. As an ambassador I get to come to days like this [the NAIDOC Family and Sports Day]; I get to see everybody. I can come and speak to the children about my stories and how my life has happened. And, like I said before, I get to show them anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
So how does it feel to be an indigenous role model?
It feels pretty good! Well, now that I’m getting older I’m happy to be a role model – there aren't many indigenous role models out there and again, it all comes back to showing the kids – indigenous, non-indigenous children – that anything is possible; you can’t dream too big.
What is beauty to you?
Beauty to me is not necessarily what you see on the outside, I think you’ve got to be beautiful on the inside and then it shows on the outside.
Are you engaged, is that right?
Yeah!
How is all the wedding planning going?
No planning at the moment... I'm still a bit young. But in the near future, definitely.
So, no date set? Have you picked a dress?
Not yet, no. Still taking it slowly.
How does your fiancé feel about your job? Does he ever get jealous?
No. He knows it’s my job at the end of the day!
Have you been working overseas as well?
Not recently - I’ve been busy with all my David Jones commitments. I've been really busy actually, just travelling to different states with them. Actually, I did go to Palm Springs to shoot the David Jones campaign with Miranda [Kerr], so that was very exciting. Does that count as a trip overseas?
What’s your favourite campaign that you’ve been involved with?
Well, I have a few favourites now! The Vogue cover was still number one, Seafolly was amazing and to be an ambassador for David Jones and to work with Megan [Gale] and Miranda; I couldn’t ask for anything more!
What’s the weirdest shoot you’ve had to do?
I don’t think I have done a weird one... thank goodness! No, not that I can think of!
What would be your dream job?
I’d love to be a Victoria’s Secret model.
Obviously you work closely with designers – do you ever think you might move into designing, like Jess Hart and her Neon Hart range?
I’m happy to stick with modelling for the moment... maybe when I’m a bit older, if there’s something I’m really interested in, because I do love fashion. Maybe when I’m older.
Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years?
Hopefully as a Victoria’s Secret model – that would be great! Hopefully I'll still working with David Jones... just still modelling!
In the meantime, when will we see you next?
I'll be back on the catwalk for the David Jones Spring/Summer show in August!
No comments:
Post a Comment