Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jessica Mauboy: Saturday Night Diva

Jessica Mauboy stars in the Saturday Night Diva shoot in our February issue. Here’s the full interview with Jess…

Firstly, thankyou for being such a trooper on our shoot today [Jess came down with an ear infection the morning of the shoot, when she was still in Adelaide. Amazingly, she managed to catch a plane to Sydney at lunchtime, and stuck around to shoot the entire spread until 9pm].
It was amazing. Yeah, it was a crazy day. I was in Perth two days ago, then Brisbane and then Adelaide for a gig. All of a sudden my ears started aching. I used to have [ear infections] really bad when I was younger, [from] catching the planes. I think it was just all the pressure. But when I got here it was amazing. I’ve worked with [Richard Freeman] the photographer before so I knew it’d look great.

How did you feel about the 50s styling?
I was like “Wow, I’ve never done this before!” And it was something really different... getting into that character and that kind of style. At first I was uncomfortable with that look. I wasn’t quite sure at the beginning but then I looked in the mirror and I was like, “Actually, this looks good!”

That silhouette is so flattering, and you looked great.
I think it looks quite nice at the waist, and it was really elegant and pretty.

How would you describe your own style?
When I want to be, I can be quite edgy and chic. But most days I wear jeans and big tees. It’s very casual!

How about when you get glammed up?
I like to be very glamorous. I love short dresses. And I’ve been leaning towards the one-shoulder look as well. The one-shoulder dress. I’m quite hourglass, so fitted dresses are best – I don’t want anything hanging out.

Have you splurged on clothes since you’ve become successful?
Yes! I bought Prada heels. It’s probably the biggest, most expensive thing I’ve ever bought. They cost me, like, two grand. It was crazy. I’m really working hard right now. And they are amazing. They are a nude pump, with a really beautiful platform. A lovely heel. I wore them in the “Get ‘Em Girls” clip.

How is your new album (Get ‘Em Girls) different to Been Waiting?
This is a more... fun, more fearless [album]. It’s more mature than the last album. I had more control. I went to the United States on my own and I didn’t know anybody. I was just so intimidated by all these producers, because they had worked with so many of my idols. I was scared shitless, but I was firm and told them how I wanted it to sound, and what I wanted to say.

Is it hard to take control as a young artist?
At first. I remember doing the first album, and always saying yes. With this album it was different. But it was a difficult for me to actually speak up and say, “No actually, that doesn’t sound right”.

You worked with Snoop Dogg for this album…what was that like?
It was pretty intense and incredible. The first time he walked in I got all tingly and was like, “Oh my god, this is crazy.” I just remember shaking his hand and he said, “I heard the song and I love it. I love the beat and the lyrics.” After that he sat down and said, “Play the song back.” So I play the song, and when it finishes, I realised that he was asleep. I’m like “I’m in the room with Snoop, on my own and he is sleeping”. What do I do? I was almost going to laugh. And then he wakes up and walks out of the room for three or four minutes. He comes back and goes straight to the booth. And another guy walks in and then they start. He starts rapping and does the whole thing in one take. I was freakishly inspired by that.

What’s your biggest career highlight so far?
Definitely meeting Beyonce. I was able to tour with her, which was quite incredible to watch. I saw how she works and I got to have a chat with some people she works with, like her manger. He showed me the ins and outs and the ups and downs of touring. Watching her do eight shows back-to-back was incredible. 

Check out Jessica in our Saturday Night Diva shoot, in the February edition of Cosmopolitan.

By Lauren Smelcher Sams


Wedding jewelry here

No comments:

Post a Comment