It's always strange to be locked away in a studio for fourteen months, recording and writing. You're never really sure what the feedback will be, so it's always surprising and nice when it's good!
Your first album was so successful. Do you feel a lot of pressure to sustain that in subsequent albums?
Only because people ask me that question a lot! For me, it's irrelevant. I just want to make albums that i love. Charts aren't always the best way to measure success, because music is so personal. At the end of the day, I just want to make a great album that my fans will enjoy.
What's it like when people tell you they really connect with your songs?
It's amazing. A lot of people connected with "Goodbye My Lover" and "Same Mistake". I get such a kick out of writing songs and having people tell me they've felt the same way. I am blown away whenever that happens.
You're a good-looking guy who writes love songs. Got any crazy fans?
I have...very keen fans, for whom I'm terribly grateful. It's very nice. But nobody has ever done anything too crazy. Once, I got in a bit of trouble on stage. I jumped off stage to run to the audience, but the security guard stopped me and wrestled me to the ground. I don't think he realised I was the singer.
We've heard rumours that you moonlight as a dance producer...
No, that's all made up. A few of my songs have been remixed for clubs, but that's all.
You've said previously that you struggle with fame. Has that changed over the years?
I said that at the beginning of my career. I still think fame is very shallow, and not a great way to measure your success. I hate the idea that kids say they want to be famous when they grow up - it's a strange thing for someone to desire, because it means a complete loss of anonymity. That said, there are obvious upsides - I have a great life. And I'm quite used to it by now.
You got your pilot's license at 16 - are you still flying?
I still have my license, but if I was flying a plane you were travelling on, I'd suggest taking a parachute.
Finally, why should we buy your album?
It's very upbeat, more optimistic than my last. There are still some love songs, but it's more positive.
James Blunt's new album, Some Kind of Trouble, is out now through Warner Music.
No comments:
Post a Comment