Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cosmo chats: Miss J. Alexander



He’s the catwalk queen who walks the walk and talks the talk on America’s Next Top Model. Miss J. Alexander, a former model-turned-catwalk coach and BFF of Tyra Banks, jetted into Australia as the Frûche style ambassador. We caught up with the flamboyant diva to find out all the goss.

What’s it like to be the face of Frûche? What does your role involve?
My role involves speaking to you, smiling and eating Frûche, Frûche and anything Frûche! This is my first time being a spokesmodel or ambassador of any kind for a product, so it’s quite an interesting responsibility. If it can happen in Australia, then it can happen back in the US… but who says that the US has any type of creativity when it comes to fierce, fruity and fabulous me. It’s a lot about putting the word out that Frûche is a great, faithful treat and informing the public that it’s not only something you can eat out of the tub, but you can also create a fabulous, fruity dessert with Frûche.

You have quite a unique look in the modelling industry  – how did you get your big break?
I used to walk up and down Madison Ave in New York, just looking in the windows at all the things I couldn’t afford when one day a woman from Giorgio Armani said to me, “You know, I think you have a great sense of style, you should see this designer.” I said, “Who?” And she said, “Jean Paul Gaultier.” When he saw me, he liked me and it just kind of happened.
A bigger break came when I began coaching models – Valentino was the first designer to let me help him with the models’ walks. One of the guys from Valentino said to me: “I see you at the shows and I see you backstage imitating the girls and showing them what to do. We have a really great girl who we’d like you to help.” They sent her to me and that’s how it all started. After Valentino, all the designers got involved, and then the agencies started taking notice that the models were changing their walks, and then we started getting press from the media. 

How did you meet America’s Next Top Model host, Tyra Banks?
I’ve known Tyra since she was 15. We became friends in Paris when she was modelling. 

Did you teach her how to walk?
I’ve coached her a bit, but mainly I’ve just given her some advice – she was already at home practicing! When she decided to do America’s Next Top Model, I was the very first person she called. Actually, it was her mother that called me and said, ‘Hi, it’s Mama here, Tyra’s doing this new show and you’ve got to be on it!”

Who has been your favourite contestant so far?

Girl, we just finished Cycle 17 and now we’re on Cycle 18 – who thought it would ever have lasted this long? That would take more than a century for me to think of who could possibly be my favourite! Let me tell you one thing though: who won and who I thought should have won are definitely not the same thing.

What’s your personal highlight from America’s Next Top Model?
Me! My personal highlight? Girl, whachu talkin’ about? Me! I think I should come Down Under and I should actually judge. I could come here and be a guest judge and shock the girls with a some runway coaching. It could be quite interesting. 

Do you have any tips for aspiring models?

Be prepared for hard work – it’s not easy, it’s not all fun and games, it’s serious hard work. It doesn’t come with a guide book and get ready to be told no on several occasions – that’s gonna happen. You have to really build that hard shell – modelling is not for the weak.

What do you think makes a good walk?
A girl that makes it down to the end without busting her teeth and twisting her ankle!

That’s always a plus sign!
That’s a good plus sign, honey!

What’s your opinion on weight debate – it’s constantly in the press about models being too thin.
What is too thin? I don’t know...

Do you think some of the international models are too thin?
See what’s too thin? I don’t know what ‘too thin’ is to people. That’s a question that’s always bounced around and I don’t even know who came up with [size 0]. That’s not a size, that’s death.

So, do you think a plus-size model can make it just as far in the industry?
Well, there’s a whole industry for plus-size models... and they’re all working.

What leg workouts do you recommend for tip-top pins?
Guess what? I’ve never been into a gym to exercise. I’ve been into a gym twice in my life – once in a black chiffon dress with a train and second time for Top Model Cycle 3 when I was on a treadmill in a mixture of Baby Phat and Phat Pharm cut-off sweats with a pair of mules. On a treadmill. Those are the only two times I’ve ever been in a gym. I eat what I want, and when I feel I’m getting too fat, I just run a Frûche; knock it all down – takes off 90 per cent of the fat!

Given that you love wearing heels, what style tips do you have for girls who prefer flats?
Just start with a little kitten-heel and then make your way up. And if you don’t really like wearing heels, wear a little kitten-heel. It’s not too high but it still elongates your legs just a little bit which will make you feel a little more elegant when you want to go out and get dressed up. Every girl can’t carry off a sky-scraper heel and there’s nothing worse than those girls who stumble and tumble!

What’s your insider tip for clear skin?
I say wash your face with Frûche!


Wedding jewelry here

No comments:

Post a Comment