
Kat Graham is one (beautiful) face to watch. The Swiss-born 'slashie' currently plays Bonnie Bennet, Elena's best friend in The Vampire Diaries, as well as starring in the dance sequel, Honey 2 alongside Audrina Patridge. Outside the acting world, Kat has also danced with some of the biggest names in the biz, from Missy Elliott and Pharrell, to Justin Bieber and Usher.
We caught up with the talented star to find out what's next.
You’re considered a bit of an all-rounder – you’re an actress, singer, dancer and model. How did you get your start?
I got my start doing commercials and working as child actress, Disney projects and other things. Then from there, I became a professional dancer at age 14, along with becoming a recording engineer. I was also back-up dancing for other acts before I began my own music career journey. That's how I got started really.
You combine both dancing and acting in the new movie Honey 2. Can you tell us a little bit about it? How does the sequel follow on from the first film?
I think that it's even better than the original. There's more at stake. The character I play just got out of juvie and now has a lot to prove and lost time to make up for. Also there's more dancing in this one. There's more intricate choreography and actual dance battles.
What was it like working with Audrina Patridge? Are you a fan of The Hills?
I was a Hills fan, yes. Audrina has to be one of the sweetest people I've ever met. She was so kind to come onto this film and play a judge. She was great. It was exciting for me to see her on Dancing With The Stars shortly after we wrapped. I got to support her back in that whole dancing world.
You’ve also had a supporting role in The Roommate alongside Leighton Meester. Did you get to work with Leighton a lot?
Yes, we had a good amount of scenes together. Leighton's really cool. She also is an actress/singer like myself so it was interesting for me to watch her while her song with Cobra Starship was out and how she would balance everything. She's a solid human being. She reminds me a lot of Drew Barrymore. Just all around good cool person.
We can also see you in The Vampire Diaries as Bonnie Bennett. The vampire franchise has really taken off in recent years – did you ever expect The Vampire Diaries to be such a big hit?
With [producer] Kevin Williamson and [executive producer] Julie Plec there's really only room for epicness. These are some big writers and I always feel, still to this day it really comes down to the writing. I knew it had potential, but to say that the magnitude of it hasn't surprised me would be false. Still to this day, I'm blown away by the response. I feel it's reached a cult following level. We're deeply supported.
What's it like on set? Are you and Nina Dobrev close? What’s it like working with Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley?
Nina and I are close. She's always there for me and vice versa. Ian's very fun and creates a great blend of solid acting, and playfulness into his work. Paul is great. He's a great actor. I really believe he's the next James Dean.
You’ve also danced with some big names in the industry – Justin Bieber, Usher, Lil Bow Wow, Missy Elliot, Pharrell, Jamie Foxx… just to name a few! Who has been your favorite artist to work with so far?
Missy Elliott was the hardest and most fun for me to work with. I had to learn her whole tour in a matter of hours. I was the youngest one in the crew of dancers. I like dancing for choreographers more than other artists. Laurieann Gibson is my ultimate favorite choreographer. She's much more than a director. She's a visionary.
Who would you love to work with?
As music artist I'd love to work with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Ceelo, N.E.R.D., Stromae... the list extends forever. As an actor, Helena Bonham Carter, Brian Cranston, Tyler Perry.
And what’s up next for you?
Season three of The Vampire Diaries airs this September. I have a film I did with Cedric the Entertainer called Dance Fu out October 4, and Honey 2 is still being released theatrically internationally. I'm also becoming a published author with Objective Ent. with the release of my first book called Blue Sky Chronicles which is kind of a Neruda style collection of poems I've written.
Honey 2 is available on DVD from September 29.
No comments:
Post a Comment