Monday, June 6, 2011

Cosmo chats: Maeve Dermody

Your most recent film was Griff the Invisible, with Ryan Kwanten. Can you tell us what it was like to film?
It was kind of ideal, I don’t know what it is going to be like making another film after it. (laughs)

Oh, really?
We were all friends, there was so much love, and the script was so well-written and intelligent with these wonderful characters and brilliant actors. It was just kind of a top, top, top experience.

Did you know Ryan before you started working with him?
No, but I was a True Blood person. You can tell that he’s an incredible actor from that.

Did you guys have a great time working together?
We had a great time working together; I think I can confidently say we have a lot of respect for each other. We both loved the script and the character so much that when we met, there was just this mutual understanding that we would trust each other. We really bonded.

Are you desperate to go overseas and work on something different or do you want to stick around and work on Australian films?
I’ve got an American agent and I read a lot of American scripts, but it is not certainly about the sake of them being American. We live in the best city in the world and I just want to keep doing good work and see what happens. I don’t have any grand scheme about it and I don’t think you can plan it, I’m just seeing what happens. I love our industry and I’m very committed to staying here…but I wouldn’t say no to a good job.

Do you feel lucky?
Hugely. I don’t take any of it for granted. I know how lucky I am. I’m very aware of hugely talented people who are not working and who have to deal with that and find a way through it.

I’ve read a lot of articles where people describe you as “the next big thing”. Is that frustrating?
It freaks me out! Like, what do they mean? It seems like the main thing that anyone can think to say about someone who is working. There is no set path; there is no set way of doing things.  It is really nice that people are saying that, if it’s meaningful to them but it’s not really meaningful to me. I don’t take refuge in it; I don’t relax just because someone is saying that.

It must be somewhat flattering though to hear things like that, though.
Of course! It’s better than someone saying that you’re not the next big thing (laughs) I think letting compliments like that sink in too deep is dangerous and can make you a bit lapse.

Check out Maeve in the July issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, out now.


Wedding jewelry here

No comments:

Post a Comment