Katrina Bowden is used to people thinking she’s a dumb blonde, like Cerie, the character she plays on 30 Rock. “Yes, people think I’m as silly as Cerie. It actually works in my favour, because people are surprised when I can string a sentence together!” We caught up with the 22-year-old former model when she was in Australia to launch Wish’s spring/summer range.
You probably get asked this all the time, but…what’s it like working with Tina Fey?
Oh, it’s amazing! She’s a superstar. I mean, she’s like superwoman, she does it all. She’s funny, sexy, smart and amazing at everything she does. She’s a really good role model.
To you, or to others?
To many people. I think it’s so important. There are so many “role models” who shouldn’t be role models for young girls, but she proves you can be a mum and be sexy and smart and funny and stay grounded.
Have you learnt a lot since you’ve been on the show?
Definitely. I’ve learned a lot from everybody on set. I started when I was 17, so the crew has watched me grow up. I’ve learnt a lot about comedy and acting, but also been given great life advice.
That must have been intimidating – being 17 and showing up to work with Alec Baldwin…
It was. I remember the first day. I hadn’t met anybody but Tina. The studio was out in Queens, and I got kind of lost finding the room, so I was a couple of minutes late. I ran into the room in a huff because I’d been running up and down stairs. I was like “Huh, sorry I’m late,” and everyone was staring at me. I just stood there for twenty seconds with everyone was looking at me, until Tracy [Morgan] stands up and goes, “Don’t just stand there looking beautiful, sit down.” He pulled out a chair and they all immediately made me feel so comfortable. The cast all treat me like I’m their little sister.
You were on a soap opera before this. What’s harder? Working on a soap opera or doing comedy?
In soap operas you only get you only get one or two takes of the entire scene. The director tells you where you’re going to stand, when you’re meant to move, how many steps you’re going to take. So, in that way it’s not very satisfying. And if you think, “Wow, I sucked in that,” you don’t get a chance to do it again, because it’s less about the quality and more about getting the story done.
What’s been the best episode to shoot so far?
In Season One, I loved shooting the “Greenzo” episode, with [guest star] David Schwimmer. That was the most fun week I’ve had on set. There was this crazy party in the episode: Alec’s hair was in a fro, Liz makes out with Grizz, I had to break a champagne bottle over someone’s head. It was hilarious.
30 Rock: Seasons 1-4 is available now on DVD and Blu-Ray. Want to win yourself a copy? Click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment