You've received a lot of critical acclaim for your debut album. Is that flattering, validating or just extra pressure to outdo yourself next time?
It's very validating. More than anything, it's encouraging to think I'm on the right track. People have reacted positively, so I know I can continue to do what I'm doing.
How have fans reacted?
I am so lucky to actually have fans - real, live, actual people who like me! I think I get the best fan reactions when I'm playing live. The fans really get into it, and so do I. I can't help but really feel every word I sing.
Favourite live show so far?
Nottingham (in the UK), June 2010. It was an amazing sense of accomplishment for me, as my album came out that day. Also, performing at Glastonbury was a real high. The energy was amazing. I'm from America, so I didn't really understand its magnitude. I just thought it was nice that they took a chance on little 'ol me!
You've said in previous interviews that high school made you lean on music in order to stay sane. Is that still the case?
I do use music as a way of clearing my thoughts. Writing songs is a way of processing my feelings. Break-ups are probably the most obvious example of this.
You said that you "feel every word" when you're singing live. Can you tell us more about that?
Because I write my own songs, every one is about something I've been through. So if the emotions of a song are still fresh, it can be hard to play the song live. My songs are basically me spilling my guts. Sometimes I need to give myself some distance from them.
Who are your musical influences?
Liz Phair, Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, The Grateful Dead, Phish, Metallica, Garth Brooks - I have very eclectic taste. I don't think I've really been influenced by any one person.
You toured with Lenny Kravitz. Did he give you any advice?
The thing I've learnt from every musician I've ever worked with is that music is really, really hard work and it requires a lot of focus. Observing more established musicians has helped me learn so much - Lenny included.
Want more celebrity interviews? Click here!
No comments:
Post a Comment